An Opportunity to Bring Kindness and Well-Being Back to Social Media Together Via Thoughtful, Ethical Design and Better Content Filters
This is how WE, you and I, bring kindness and well-being back to social media
If you’ve ever uninstalled one of the leading social media apps from your phone, this project is custom made just for you. Why? Some of the words to describe current social media apps:
Maybe you were inundated with posts from people you barely know and their pets, kids, lunches, workout routines, new diets or selfies. You’re not alone.
There are fundamental functions missing from all available mobile social networking apps. And apps shouldn’t control your time or make you feel bad.
- A social media photo, video and music sharing app that serves the user, built from the ground up with the user’s health in mind, is way overdue. In fact, over at Instagram, they are still trying to figure out if they should remove the “like” function (the answer is yes, because we use it to gauge our own value and self worth, especially when we don’t get likes and our friends do).
With your help we’re going to take it a step further. We’re relying way to heavily on social media, dating apps and so forth to meet new people. The times of forming the best, long-lasting and most fulfilling relationships made with new friends at coffee shops, the library, bars, or the laundromat… Well, these days are a distant memory. We may have, finally, truly lost the art of the ice-breaker, the ability to have a meaningful conversation with a complete stranger in a safe environment.
This is why the second part of the app is crucial. It pairs people with similar (preset) interests, disinterests, goals and values within a 200-foot radius and (when turned on) indicates if the newfound future friend would like to have a conversation (along with helpful icebreaker prompts).
- We have wrapped up our market research.
- We have written our business plan.
- We have created a wireframe and mockup (used in the images on this page).
- We have created an interactive (though rough) prototype (used in the video included with this project).
- We have created our pitch deck and one pager (if necessary)
- Next: Build the app.
Let’s do this. Together in kindness and well-being.