A hot swappable tool changer for virtually any 3D printer. Experiment with new tools and accessories, and maximize uptime!
XChange is a brand new, hot-swappable tool changing solution for virtually any 3D printer. It enables all types of users, from professionals to those brand new to the world of 3D printing, to quickly and easily change tools with almost no down time. XChange is patent pending, designed and manufactured in the USA by PrinterMods.com.
We designed XChange to be broadly compatible with most popular 3D printers, printer tools and accessories, while maintaining the smallest, lightest footprint possible.
Made by us in the USA, XChange features an anodized aluminum frame, aerospace-grade electrical connectors, and is readily compatible with most existing 3D printers.
XChange incorporates an elegant mechanical and electrical connection that enables rapid tool changes using only a single motion. It is comprised of a master mounting assembly featuring a robust magnetic locking mechanism, and one or more interchangeable tool plates for fast swaps between multiple types of tools.
It works by pairing a master assembly, which remains affixed to your machine, with multiple interchangeable tool plates, using a strong magnetic coupling mechanism.
High quality electrical connectors connect the master assembly to your 3D printer’s mother board, while each tool assembly has its own PCB with convenient wire-to-board connectors to connect your hot end, fans, extruders, and more.
Whether you want to try out new tools or accessories, experiment with multi-material prints, make use of spare parts, or just maximize uptime for your printers, XChange makes it possible. Compatible with virtually any combination of tools and accessories you can imagine, XChange opens up a world of new possibilities, with the printer you already have.
It’s great for:
- Dedicated tool types for certain materials
- Changing colors between or during prints
- Fast maintenance – swapping a tool into service eliminates down time
- Experimenting with new tools and accessories, like laser engravers, pen plotters, and more.
XChange was designed to be compatible with the most popular styles of 3D printers. It’s natively compatible with any 3D printer using MGN12H linear rail on the X axis, and 2020 extrusion-based systems like Creality 3D printers using an optional V-slot rail adapter plate.
- Works with factory 8-bit and 32-bit motherboards.
- Natively compatible with MGN12H linear rail systems.
- Compatible with V-slot wheels and 2020 extrusion using V-slot add-on.
- Compatible with popular ABL using up to 5-wire probes (such as BL Touch).
- XChange is currently intended only for 24V 3D printers.
- Capable of printing high temperature filaments in enclosures.
- Marlin 2.0.X Bugfix compatible – more firmware compatibility coming soon.
Other motion geometries can be supported with printed adapters, which are expected to be designed and released in early Q2 2021 (sooner if the community would like to contribute to this end).
- Robust, custom PCBs feature extra-thick traces, corrosion and wear resistant plating, and properly rated connectors from genuine parts suppliers like Samtec, TE Connectivity, Amphenol, On Shore, and others.
- All PrinterMods products are manufactured to be RoHS-compliant.
- 50N magnetic coupling mechanism, perfectly aligned to maintain a strong connection during prints, but releases at the push of a lever
- Injection molded locating and alignment pins affix tool mounts reliably and repeatably.
- High-grade, machined aluminum frame, designed for the lightest weight and smallest footprint possible.
- Only 16mm deep when closed.
- Weighs only 110g completely assembled(!)
- USA-engineered and manufactured.
We faced some challenges in developing firmware that would be fully functional for 3D printers with 8-bit boards and limited memory (such as the Creality Ender-3). We’re working with Marlin firmware developers who have performed careful changes to Marlin bugfix-2.0.x with improved ergonomics and features, and will be releasing specific firmware branches for specific popular machines, as well as documentation for customizing the firmware yourself.
The firmware is currently in a functional state with many of Marlin’s core functions enabled, with more improvements to be rolled out over time. Some of these changes / features have been rolled into the latest official Marlin bugfix-2.0.x, while we’re further refining things like LCD menu selections for tool changes, tool head settings, etc.
We’ve chosen Marlin because it’s the firmware that runs most of the world’s 3D printers. That said, we’re interested in adding more firmware options to the mix, and if you want to help develop something, let us know as we’d love to support you (as long as we’re not spreading ourselves too thinly).
During the course of development of XChange, we’ve closely collaborated with various industry leaders and experts. We’re grateful to all of them for supporting our efforts.
Samtec – Manufacturer of very high quality electrical connectors, trusted in critical industries around the globe. We worked with Samtec to spec the ideal connectors for XChange, and validate our designs.
Insanity Automation – Marlin firmware developers and automation experts. We teamed up with their team to do initial firmware development, and are continuing to work with them to offer ongoing updates to our backers.
Slice Engineering – Makers of some of the finest 3D printer hot ends on the planet. We’ve collaborated with them to ensure XChange is ready to support their catalog of offerings, and will continue to do so in the future.
PrinterMods has been a USA-based manufacturer and retailer of 3D printer parts and upgrades since late 2018, and is made up of a team of talented, highly caffeinated makers, industrial designers and manufacturing specialists.
Over the last two years, we’ve proudly grown to serve tens of thousands of customers in more than 50 countries around the world, and have earned a reputation for our valuable, unique products and unwavering commitment to customer service.
We have our own manufacturing, production, and fulfillment facilities (located in FL and AL). All of our products are designed, engineered, and fulfilled by us in-house.
We’re using Kickstarter as a platform for a soft launch of XChange prior to a full-fledged consumer launch. By using Kickstarter, we can control the exact number of XChange units we’re manufacturing, without over-committing ourselves. It also provides an efficient platform through which we can interact directly with our backer community, and help empower you to do amazing things with XChange.
Our backers should expect communications from us on pertinent manufacturing, production and fulfillment updates along the way. We ask that backers be willing to give us constructive feedback when using XChange, and together help us further refine and improve it for everyone to enjoy.